Tuesday 22 September 2009

Update at the Equinox, September 2009

At the start of September, the farm hosted its first wedding blessing and celebration. About 70 guests gathered at the ancient oak in Herne Wood for the blessing and beautiful folk music drifted through the rustling leaves of the surrounding oaks. The blessing was followed by the wedding dinner in an impressive 30 ft yurt in Ley Meadow, a concert in the main barn and a dance in the large yurt in the evening.


~

We are making good progress with the activity days at White House Farm and will be offering bushcraft and nature awareness as well as natural building workshops over the winter. The main season will start again in March/April 2010 for the activity days and we will be using the main barn and our own 30 ft yurt for these events.

Alex Moore leading a bushcraft and nature awareness activity at White House Farm, September 2009

~
The trees in the orchard have been hanging heavy with fruits this season, especially plums and apples. Last year's harvest was much less abundant. On the land the sloes and wild plums are bountiful. Andrea collected sloes already last week (early September) and picked some for me too so I will soon be preparing sloe gin for the winter. Sloe gin is especially welcome after working out on the land in the chill wind and rain!

~

2 comments:

  1. That is exactly the wedding I dreamed of, but wasn't able to have. :-( We did find the perfect tree - a wild fig (we were married in Africa), but things went crazy (as Africa can) and we ended up with last minute compromises all the way.

    In my dream world... I'd pick your place for my wedding! :-)

    I can't remember... do you know about Blogblast for Peace day? It's Nov 5th and last year we had hundreds of bloggers participating. I hope you'll be joining us and adding your name to the list. :-)

    http://crows-feet.blogspot.com/2009/10/peace-globe-day-countdown.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have some interest for wedding blessings here next year too! Thanks for letting me know about the Blogblast for Peace. I'll be adding my name to the list soon.

    ReplyDelete